2015 Ford Explorer vs 2015 Toyota 4Runner
AwardsFord is committed to safety, and it shows: the 2015 Explorer has earned a coveted 5-star Overall Safety Rating from the NHTSA.1 .
SOPHISTICATED STRENGTH HIGHLIGHTS THIS MIDSIZE CROSSOVER SUV
The 2015 Ford Explorer can tow just as much as the more truck-like 2015 Toyota 4Runner, but also offers all the convenience and comfort of a 21st century sedan.
- A singular commitment to safety – recognized by NHTSA with a 5-Star Overall Safety Rating that wasn’t earned by the Toyota 4Runner
- A truckload of capability – complemented by handy technologies for easier towing, improved performance in tricky driving conditions, and maximum gear storage
- Multiple EcoBoost powertrains – deliver output and fuel-economy ratings that go far beyond those of the 4Runner
- Explorer Sport – high-performance model out-runs 4Runner with EcoBoost V-6 engine, sport-tuned suspension, athletic style cues and premium amenities
FAMILY-FRIENDLY SAFETY FEATURES
Knowing that the 2015 Ford Explorer is a popular choice for active families, engineers have built in impressive safety measures that protect all three rows.
- Toyota-besting technologies – led by the Ford Blind Spot Information System and also encompassing rear cross-traffic alert, a lane-keeping system, adaptive cruise control with brake support and automatic high beams
- Specific driver-assistance measures – such as standard trailer-sway control and Curve Control, a new feature not found on the 4runner and designed to enable safer cornering
- Something for everyone – starting with the Safety Canopy side-curtain airbag system, with three-row coverage, and, for outboard second-row passengers, inflatable seatbelts
With more gear ratios in its transmissions, and more engine choices, the 2015 Ford Explorer is more efficient and more powerful than the 4Runner.
- Two six-speed automatic transmissions – including the Ford-only SelectShift Automatic, with both allowing drivers to make better use of engine power than the Toyota’s five-speed gearbox
- Standard 3.5-liter V-6 – serves up 20 more horsepower than the RAV4’s only engine and the same towing maximum, but with better highway and combined fuel economy
- 2.0-liter EcoBoost green leader – showcasing markedly better fuel economy than the 4Runner
- High-velocity 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 – pouring out 95 more horsepower and 72 lb.-ft. more torque than the Toyota, and backed by standard intelligent all-wheel drive
The 2015 Ford Explorer remains true to its roots when it comes to capability, but with a little help from some of today’s top technologies.
· Terrain Management System – lets drivers pick from four unique all-wheel-drive modes to handle a wide variety of road and off-road conditions
· Power liftgate with memory – makes for another feature the 4Runner can’t match, so owners can open and close the rear hatch with a single button press
· Power-folding Third Row – offers a class-exclusive system for added cargo- and passenger-carrying flexibility
· Big-time cabin benefits – ranging from 23 more cubic feet of passenger volume than the 4Runner to available amenities like climate-controlled front seats, a heated second row and a heated steering wheel
EfficiencyIf you're trying to pinch pennies, every mile per gallon toward better fuel economy counts, including the 0 more MPGs between the 2015 Ford Explorer2 and the 2015 Toyota 4Runner3 in the city and the 2 more MPGs on the highway. Those humble little MPGs can add up to big savings.
2015 Ford ExplorerVS2015 Toyota 4Runner174EPA Estimated City MPG175244EPA Estimated Highway MPG225
Selected Edmunds.com visitor vehicle reviews:
“We just purchased a 2015 Explorer Sport.
Surprised at the power and the launch speed.
Even more surprised at the vehicles agility.
The sport version drives like our Accord Coupe V6 but has a great amount of room.
Ford has upgraded the leather they use (YEAH!) and the in-dash buttons look fantastic and are easy to use.
My wife is thrilled with the purchase (her car) and keeps saying how nice it is to have an SUV again.”
dngrwill - 8/18/2014 9:23 AM
PerformanceMore transmission speeds, more horsepower, and more torque make the 2015 Ford Explorer6 the clear winner when it comes to pick-up, power, and acceleration, the trifecta of SUV awesomeness.
2015 Ford ExplorerVS2015 Toyota 4Runner64Transmission Speeds573658Horsepower27073508Torque2787
SafetyMore stars means safer cars. According to the NHTSA's Overall Crash Rating, should you ever need it, the 2015 Ford Explorer offers greater crash protection than the 2015 Toyota 4Runner.9. According to the NHTSA, the 2015 Ford Explorer's standard safety features provide better protection in the event of a head-on collision than the 2015 Toyota 4Runner.10. NHTSA testing proves the 2015 Ford Explorer's stability and handling features make it less likely to roll over than the 2015 Toyota 4Runner.11.
UsabilityThe 2015 Ford Explorer's2 lower ground clearance, 812vs.913 means a lower center of gravity and more stability. Whether you're chauffeuring your kids to ballet, or the Harlem Globetrotters to a game (it could happen), all of your passengers will be more comfortable with the 2015 Ford Explorer's2 combined total of 8 inches more head and leg room in the front and rear seats. . The 2015 Ford Explorer's2 300-lb. increase in towing capacity over the 2015 Toyota 4Runner3 means you'll be able to tow just about anything, for the job site or for a weekend fishing trip. The 2015 Ford Explorer's2 wider wheelbase can mean greater stability. How much more stability? A noteworthy 3 inches' worth.
2015 Ford ExplorerVS2015 Toyota 4Runner812Ground Clearance913414Front Head Room3913414Front Leg Room3913404Rear Head Room3813404Rear Leg Room38135,00012Towing Capacity4,700131124Wheelbase10913
PricingThe 2015 Ford Explorer2 is priced at $2,510 less than the 2015 Toyota 4Runner3 - that's some pretty sizable savings. In the very unlikely event you'll need it, help is just a phone call away, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with the 2015 Ford Explorer's2 Roadside Assistance, standard for 3 years longer than 2015 Toyota 4Runner3.
2015 Ford ExplorerVS2015 Toyota 4Runner$30,7004MSRP$33,210754Roadside Assistance27
is the property of Chrome Data Solutions, LP, and may not be reproduced or distributed without their consent.
1 - Learn more at http://www.safercar.gov/Safety+Ratings
2 - 2015 Ford Explorer Base
3 - 2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
4 - 2015 Ford Explorer FWD 4dr Base
5 - 2015 Toyota 4Runner RWD 4dr V6 SR5 (SE)
6 - 2015 Ford Explorer Sport
7 - 2015 Toyota 4Runner RWD 4dr V6 SR5 (Natl)
8 - 2015 Ford Explorer 4WD 4dr Sport
9 - Find more info here: http://www.safercar.gov/Safety+Ratings
10 - Find out more at: http://www.safercar.gov/Safety+Ratings
11 - Learn more at: http://www.safercar.gov/Safety+Ratings
12 - 2015 Ford Explorer 4WD 4dr Base
13 - 2015 Toyota 4Runner RWD 4dr V6 SR5 (GS)